The Office of Post-Doctoral Affairs (OPdA) Centre forms a focal point of the world-leading living & working facility on the University of Cambridge’s new ‘Eddington’ development in North West Cambridge. The Centre, the first of its kind in the UK, is designed to attract and support postdocs for the duration of their contract.
The Centre is split across two adjacent blocks, one accommodating the reception and a flexible working environment for OPdA staff and visitors with the other providing a versatile social, learning and conference facility, including a 220 seat lecture theatre and a Committee Room.
The Client was seeking an aspirational, industrial interior with exposed structural concrete walls, soffits and columns. This aesthetic is complemented by textural acoustic panels, birch ply and architectural lighting linking and highlighting the impressive volume of the open plan spaces.
The accommodation comprises:
Block C (3251ft2)
- Reception with bespoke desk and flexible waiting seating
- Kitchenette/break out space
- Versatile open plan workstation/collaboration space
- Confidential cellular offices/meeting rooms
- Mezzanine (517ft2) with cellular offices
Block E (5500ft2)
- Lecture room & break out with moveable wall (2217ft2)
- Furniture store
- Committee room & social space with moveable wall (1184ft2)
- WCs with footwashing facility