Saunders Boston Architects provided full architectural design and lead consultant services working alongside Design & Build Contractor Kier Construction at Waterbeach Community Primary School to enlarge the existing school to 3FE.
The proposed works include an extension providing 12 classrooms within a two storey teaching block. The new build block sits centrally within the site limiting impact on the Protected Village Amenity Area which includes the school playing fields. The extension provides KS2 teaching accommodation on both floors, with classrooms accessed from with central toplit learning corridors.
The extension is designed to contrast the existing with light grey facing bricks with integral coloured glazed bricks and feature colour reveals to the ground floor windows. The latter is intended to offer the children a sense of place when viewing the building and marries in with the School’s rainbow theme. The upper level panelised cladding is designed to be banded, with various height panels, offering interest yet optimised to maximise material efficiency.
Other works to the existing school include refurbishment and change of use of existing rooms to meet the school and clients requirements for a 3FE primary school. A small extension to the Admin area also provides opportunity to lift the front entrance of the school.
- 12No classrooms, plus cloaks and Storage.
- Central Learning Streets at both ground and first floor levels,
- Group Room,
- Ancillary Areas, WCS, Stores etc
- Circulation, Stairs and Evacuation Lift
- An enclosed but unheated link between existing and new buildings.
- Extension to the Administration Area to the front entrance of the school including new canopy.