Saunders Boston Architects (SBA) worked with Sanctuary Housing and Keepmoat to deliver this 70 apartment Extra Care Housing and Learning Difficulty project in Gravesend, Kent.
- The development brief was determined by Gravesham Borough Council (GBC)& Kent County Council.
- The project goes some way to meeting GBC’s identified need for Extra Care Housing.
- Wimborne House replaces a former outdated 1970’s Sheltered Housing development on the same site.
- Feasibility studies were carried out as to the viability of retaining/re-modelling this existing building but these proved to be too expensive and still would have resulted in compromised solutions
Accommodation / Key features;
- 60 Extra Care Flats (1bed @ 52m/2 and 2bed @ 65m/2 bedroom)
- Affordable and Shared Ownership tenure
- Communal Facilitates – including; Restaurant/Bistro, Main Lounge, Therapy/Fitness suite, Hairdressers, Staff & visitor facilities. These are available for use by the wider local older persons’ population.
- Sixth floor communal lounge with panoramic views of the Queen Elizabeth bridge and Thames Estuary
- All ground floor apartments benefit from semi private amenity space and communal secure landscaped gardens.
- All upper floor apartments have external terraces or Juliet balconies.
- 10 Learning Difficulty Flats with associated staff facilities
- Communal Facilities
- Separate external amenity space